Why I Stopped Co-Washing My Hair

Colorado, Denver - Report by Abigail. Today, we will give information about Why I Stopped Co-Washing My Hair.

Scalp Analysis from: Segal Solutions India 
Yes my love affair with Co-Washing has finally ended, even as I write this post I cannot believe that I no longer co-wash my hair.  In recent months my hair has been lack lustre, dull, at times greasy and my scalp started developing FLAKES, simply put my hair wouldn't do the things I wanted it to do anymore. Of course I was confused, I was doing everything RIGHT, but yet my hair looked terrible and it seemed to me like it had STOPPED GROWING. This is when I started to look at ALL my processes very closely and question absolutely everything I did and put on my hair.

WHY WE NEED TO CLEANSE
Hair is exposed to environmental pollutants such as dust, pollen and  whatever else is blowing into our hair, add to that the sebum, sweat and the naturally occurring yeast (Pytirosporum) that is present in our scalp. As our skin renews and sheds this too collects on the scalp and if your are not cleansing correctly this build up can possibly develop into some pretty serious skin conditions.

WHAT IS A SHAMPOO AND A CONDITIONER 
A shampoo is a cleansing agent used to wash the hair and scalp, it is a product that helps to remove all impurities from the hair and scalp.  A shampoo contains surfactants which when combined with water a allows the surfactants to foam and penetrate solids, the majority of all shampoos are ALKALINE.  A conditioner moistens, softens, untangles, provides shine, it contains some surfactant and it is an ACIDIC.




CO-WASHING
With all this information buzzing around in my head I realized that I was causing the "destruction" of my hair.  Though conditioners contain surfactants they do not contain the right type to properly cleanse my hair. Furthermore the optimal PH of hair is between 4.5 to 5.5, and use of conditioner only was not allowing my hair to balance out. I was sealing in all the impurities into my hair strands and my scalp was holding on to all the sweat, sebum and product residual which was causing me to flake.  So I immediately stopped co-washing, I am now a regular user of a pretty good sulfate free shampoo.  I have also changed quite a lot things with regards to my hair routine, products, styling, and the way I look at professional treatments.  I have to admit though that all the new scientific knowledge I am gaining  is going a long way in helping me build and maintain a better hair care regime for me and the people around me.

That being said, I am never one to pass judgment and this article is in no way condemning naturals that co-wash their hair, my philosophy is and will always be, if a particular method works for you then keep it. It just wasn't working for me any longer and as always change is the only thing that is constant in life.

What methods did you start using as a natural that you no longer use? Do you co-wash what conditioners do you use?





XXX

Isabel



Thank you for reading this article about Why I Stopped Co-Washing My Hair. Give your feedback when articles about Why I Stopped Co-Washing My Hair very interesting for you. Please share to social media or leave a comment. May be useful. ( Abigail )

No comments

Powered by Blogger.